CINNAMON COFFEE CAKE WITH STREUSEL CRUMBLES
What goes better with that morning cup ‘joe than a rich coffee cake?
MAKE AHEAD DISHES
Whether it is the grands for a sleepover or far-flung relatives making their trip home for the holidays, we all want to want to spend this precious time with our family and friends, not miss it by working in a hot kitchen turning out short orders to match different schedules.
“Make ahead” dishes can a delicious solution to this situation.
This Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe can be prepared the day before, held in the refrigerator overnight and ready for baking the next morning.
This Cinnamon Coffee Cake Can be Breakfast or Dessert
COOK’S TIP: If you don’t want to use bourbon in the drizzle, substitute any extract flavor that you like, i.e. vanilla, almond, orange, etc.
CINNAMON CRUMBLE COFFEE CAKE
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Sweet Bourbon Drizzle (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. milk
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch pan. Cover tightly, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let cake stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sprinkle with Cinnamon-Nut Crumble. Bake 32 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle Sweet Bourbon Drizzle over cake.
Sweet Bourbon Drizzle
Stir together powdered sugar, bourbon, and 2 Tbsp. milk. Stir in remaining 1 Tbsp. milk, 1 tsp. at a time, until desired consistency. Use immediately.