Last Updated on by Adrienne
Healthy Breakfast on the Go!
How many times did your mom tell you, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!” as she pushed you out the door for the bus and shoved a cold Pop Tart in your hand?
If you are anything like the rest of us, more than once. Seems like there is never enough time for a healthy, get your engine running, breakfast. It’s either Mom with the Pop Tart or the lady at McDonald’s with the McMuffin.
Literally, breakfast is typically the first meal of a day, most often eaten in the early morning before undertaking the day’s work. In English the term refers to breaking the fasting period of the prior night. Breakfast is supposed to kick our bodies’ systems into high gear to deal with all the activities of the day. You don’t need a sit-down meal to ignite this all important process; with a little planning, you can start your day (and that of your sleepy-eyed family) with an effective, kick-butt breakfast on the go!
If you are an adult, or almost an adult, you also probably throw in a good shot of caffeine while getting ready to take on the day as well. What we need is more protein and fiber and less sugar, fat and just enough carbs provide that quick boost of energy to move us through the morning, past the morning fog and the not-so-healthy “breakfast” temptations to start each day as the best version of ourselves.
Try some of these ideas for a truly healthy and satisfying breakfast on the go.
GRAIN-FREE GRANOLA BARS
These tasty, fiber-filled bars leave out the flour to hold down the carbs. If you prefer natural honey as a sweetener, I haven’t tested it but I think it would be fine.
GRAIN FREE GRANOLA BARS
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add coconut, pumpkin seeds, walnuts and sunflower seeds to a food processor and pulse until they are combined and broken up but still resembling nuts and seeds.
- In a bowl whisk eggs and vanilla extract together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add your ingredients from the food processor, stevia, chia seeds, flax meal and goji berries. Stir to combine and then make a well in the center.
- Add coconut oil and egg mixture and stir until it is well combined and comes together. Press mixture into a lined baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan and then slice. Store in an air tight container.
Chia seeds? Isn’t that for your Cha-Cha Chia Pet?
Chia seeds are a new ingredient to some of us, but as the old saying goes, “Don’t knock it ’til you try it”? Remember the first time you tried sushi?
Chia seeds are versatile and healthy and are considered to be a “superfood.” They soak up liquid and increase in size to make a creamy pudding in these recipes that take on the flavors of the other ingredients.
Watch the video to see the clever way you can prepare more than one serving at a time with the same coconut milk base and then flavor separately for your whole family. This would be a super easy and different breakfast on the go.
CHIA PUDDING 3 WAYS Chia Pudding – Cinnamon & Blueberries
- In a mixing bowl, mix coconut milk, vanilla extract and stevia together until well combined. Add chia seeds to a jar and pour over coconut milk and whisk well. Put in the refrigerator to set (minimum 2 hours). Top with cinnamon, blueberries and coconut. Enjoy. This recipe serves 2 – for convenience you may wish to make in 2 separate jars.
Chia Pudding – Chocolate Berry
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp cacao raw cocoa or use unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- In a mixing bowl, mix coconut milk, vanilla extract, cacao and stevia together until well combined. Add chia seeds to a jar and pour over coconut milk and whisk well. Put in the refrigerator to set (minimum 2 hours). Top with blueberries and strawberries. Enjoy. This recipe serves 2 – for convenience you may wish to make in 2 separate jars.
Breakfast in a Bowl – But It’s Not Cheerios
CHOCOLATE AVOCADO SMOOTHIE BOWL
In the widespread effort to reduce carbs, you are finding all kinds of things served in a bowl. Tacos in a Bowl, Egg Roll in a Bowl, Pizza in a Bowl. With so many portable and disposable serving dishes available, this would be super easy for a to-go meal.
CHOCOLATE AVOCADO SMOOTHIE BOWL
- ½ Avocado
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 tsp Stevia
- 1 tbsp cacao
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp hemp seeds
- Add all smoothie ingredients (except for almond milk) to freezer bag. Freeze until ready to eat (up to 1 month). When ready add to blender with 1 cup of almond milk and blend until smooth. Add to serving bowl and top with desired toppings.
And last but definitely not least, an idea with the more familiar main ingredient, eggs! The prior preparation makes this completely do-able breakfast on the go! I love these little jars! If you don’t want to keep up with the jars, I can think of several disposable containers that would be a perfect substitution.
EGGY SCRAMBLE IN A JAR
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup baby spinach leaves
- ¼ red onion diced
- ¼ red bell pepper diced
- 2 oz shortcut bacon fat removed, diced
- ¼ cup chives chopped small, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized jar add (in the following order) diced onion, bacon, bell pepper and baby spinach. Put 2 whole eggs in and close the lid. Refrigerate until you are ready to eat (3-4 days). Remove the lid and the eggs and microwave (in the jar) for 90 seconds on high. Stir the ingredients (be careful the jar will be hot) and crack in your eggs. Add ½ the chives (reserve ½ for garnish) and season to taste. Whisk the eggs into the other ingredients and then microwave for a further 1-2 minutes (until cooked through). Add your remaining chives and serve.
These recipes might have new ingredients or techniques, but that just means they are new and different, not bad. Finding food is delicious that nourishes your body without adding all the extras like sugar, salt, carbs and even dairy for some people is just adding to the time you can spend enjoying life with your families and friends.
Click here for a terrific eBook “Thirty Minutes to WOW!” It is jam-packed with two weeks of Quick and Easy weeknight meals that are also healthy and delicious.
Remember, a Little Whimsy in the Kitchen is a Lot of WOW! on the Plate!