Last Updated on by Adrienne
Thai Chicken Soup is a twist on the old classic – but equally as soothing as your grandmother’s old recipe. The exotic but easy to find flavors dance on your taste buds while maybe helping to quiet those sniffles.
Jewish Penicillin. A Cure in a Bowl. Healing Elixir.
These are all things that have been said about the soothing and comforting golden broth of chicken soup.
Almost all cultures have a version and this subtly spiced Thai chicken soup is one of the best.
WHAT ARE THAI FLAVORS?
- Coconut Milk
- Palm Sugar
- Green Onion or Shallots
- AND Fish Sauce!
FISH SAUCE? FISH SAUCE IN CHICKEN SOUP?!
Fish sauce may smell pungent, but used correctly, its flavor is subtle and savory.
Called nam pla in Thai, is used much like salt or soy sauce as a flavor enhancer.
It serves as a seasoning in cooked dishes as well as a base for dipping sauces.
Most importantly, it doesn’t taste like fish!
CAN I MAKE “VEGETARIAN” CHICKEN SOUP?
Absolutely! Any of these recipes can be adjusted by using vegetable broth. You can leave out the chicken and substitute tofu, if desired.
Otherwise, just have a fantastic Thai vegetable broth soup! By using the chiles, the citrus and the fresh herbs you can easily make your own Bowl of Wonderful!
THAI CHICKEN SOUP
Thai Chicken Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallions whites and pale-greens thinly sliced, dark greens sliced 1-inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 1- inch piece ginger peeled, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled, shredded
- 1 jalapeño with seeds, thinly sliced (or seeded if you prefer less heat)
- 1 cup quartered stemmed shiitake mushrooms
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14- ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon or more fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced sugar snap peas
- 1 teaspoon lime zest divided
- Fresh tender herbs such as cilantro or basil
- Lime wedges for serving
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Cook scallions, garlic, and ginger, stirring frequently until softened, about 4 minutes. Add carrot, jalapeño, and mushrooms and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chicken, broth, coconut milk, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook until chicken is cooked through, 15–20 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and let cool slightly.Add fish sauce to soup and season with salt and more fish sauce, if desired. Shred chicken into large chunks and return to pot along with sugar snap peas. Stir in lime zest. Top with fresh herbs and serve with lime wedges alongside.
THAI CHICKEN ‘ZOODLE’ SOUP
THAI CHICKEN ZOODLE SOUP
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- ½ cup Coconut milk full fat, canned
- 2 Tbsp Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil extra virgin
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 3 Green onions chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced
- 4 oz Snow Peas
- 4 oz Bean Shoots
- 1 Zucchini spiralized
- 1 Lime quartered
- 8 oz Cooked chicken breast shredded
- 1 oz Cilantro chopped
- In a large pot, heat the oil and add red and green onions. Cook for a minute or so (until softened) and add curry paste and bell pepper.
- Cook for another minute or two and add chicken broth.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add snow peas, bean shoots and chicken. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add Zucchini and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, stir and then take off the heat. Serve with a wedge of lime and a sprinkle of cilantro. Enjoy!
CROCK POT THAI CHICKEN SOUP
The crock pot method is great if you can’t be tied to the kitchen or you are serving a busy family with different schedules.
CROCK POT THAI CHICKEN SOUP
- 2 14 oz cans lite coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (the all natural runny kind, no sugar or salt added)
- 1 4 oz jar red curry paste start with 1/4 cup and add to taste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional start without and add after cook time for more spice
- 1 pound raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Chopped cilantro garnish
- Chopped peanuts garnish
- Brown rice or noodles for serving
- Whisk together coconut milk, broth, peanut butter, curry paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in greased crockpot or one fitted with a liner.
- Add in chicken breasts, onion, carrots, pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred or cut into bite sized pieces. Stir back into soup.
- Before serving, stir in lime juice, taste and re-season with salt, more curry paste, red pepper flakes, if necessary.
- Serve over brown rice or noodles and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.